.

Friday, May 2, 2014

Remember when : The First time I went to Japan!

In 2 months today, I will be going to Russia - if all goes to plan (actually I still don't have much of a plan for what I am going to do in Russia)
I'm getting a little nervous about this trip,  mainly because of the tension between Russia and the UN, not knowing  the language, not having a firm plan and I am also worried that my natural sense of curiosity might just land me in jail.  Maybe I've watched too  many movies - yes!

When I was growing up all I wanted to do was travel.
I spent loads of time traveling around Australia with my family.  My father raced a 14 foot skiff, so we were quiet often left to our own devices.  My younger sister and I would spend our time exploring each major city.   I loved the exploring, not knowing what was around the corner.  So many adventures!

So it's surprising that the first time I went overseas was only a few years ago.
I went to Japan, with one of my dearest friends, Maryanne.  She had been there already a number of times on her own, she'd also traveled to LA on her own, where she road a push bike wearing a skirt.  She's always so fabulous, the prefect traveling companion.  

Here are some photos of that time I went to Japan.



 This is at the airport before we caught our first flight, I was so excited - my first Duty Free.  It was a bottle of Cointreau, of course!


 On our way to Studio Ghibli
 Love the guys dancing on the stage whilst the singer is on the floor with the crowd!


 At the show we met the guy that ran TombStone, a tiny tiny Bar in Tokyo. He invited us to his bar.  A few nights later we thought we'd check it out.

The guy who ran the bar (Sorry,  I cannot remember his name, from now on I will refer to him as TGWRTB ) told us about a huge car and motorbike show in Yokohama, he played us a dvd and told us that the owner of the bar goes every year and is friends with loads of people there.

As the night progressed we started requesting different music to be played, TGWRTB told us a good friend owns a bar where he'll play any record we want.  We left Tombstone, TGWRTB gave us stickers and a copy of a picture that he had drawn,  to explore Tokyo some more, we ended up at Punk Rock Bar, TGWRTBs friends bar.  I returned to that bar a few years later with a different crowd, and a very different experience.  That is another story for another time, fun times!
 The first time I ever saw Flamingos in real life!
Maryanne and I, she always looks so fabulous!!

No comments: